Im still here! This whole time Ive been sewing and repainting, I just havent managed to get any of it up online. Whatever, computers stress me out sometimes. Anyway, I made a brunette version of Rapunzel.
At the end of Disneys version of the story, Rapunzels hair is cut off, leaving her with a messy brunette bob. For one thing, I think it suits her, and I kind of prefer brunette dolls anyway. The more important thing for me though, is that this is how the film ends. Based on what we learn in the film, thats it. That is her hair forever now. And yeah, it looks like she somehow gets the blonde hair back in the new animated series, but up until then we had every reason to assume her hair stayed the same. So, for me, it makes sense that out of the dolls available, a fair proportion should have that hair. I do understand why that isnt the case, from the point of view of the toy companies; long hair is one of Rapunzels defining features, and if kids want to recreate the story, they’re gonna need a doll with that hair. Ive only ever seen one brunette Rapunzel though, at the Disney store, and she was only there for a short time when the film had first come out. Other than that, nothing (that Ive come across).
So, when I found a Rapunzel in a charity shop with horrendously tangled hair, that was obviously my first idea. I found Hasbros version of her, the first one they made
Like this one, but naked and with terrible hair. Im not good at rerooting, nor do I enjoy it, so I wanted to make her a wig. Plus, short hair shows the roots more, so I think a wig works better for this anyway. I decided to use her to try out an idea Id had for wig making. Instead of creating brushed yarn wefts and then gluing them on, I wanted to try rooting yarn into a wig cap and then brushing it out. It seemed to me like this might make the individual strands of yarn more secure.
I started off with the usual wig cap thing; stretchy fabric over her head then glue. Then I used a needle to root the wool through. I did it so that both ends are coming up, so that when Ive glued the cap to the head, any brushing will pull on both ends, and hopefully not pull it out
Obviously I rooted it more thickly around the edges, same as you would with a regular reroot. The downside to this is that its pretty hard to gauge how thickly to root it. When wool is brushed out it becomes fluffier, but you also lose a lot of bulk in the brushing. I figured more was the best option.
To try and reduce the amount that I lost brushing it out, I untangled the strands a bit with my fingers before I started brushing. After a lot of brushing and trimming, we get this:
I put her in the dress I got with the Rapunzel doll in the last post, because it fits fine, and I want to dress that one in something completely different. Overall, Im quite happy with her. The hairstyle isnt spot on, but I dont think that the one the Disney store did was actually any more accurate really. I think I ended up going a bit too thick, but I can live with it.
I have lots of other stuff to share, once I get around to it. Im going to try to post more often, but Ive said that a few times before. We’ll see